Leaving Switzerland

Leaving.

As much as I'd like to be able to I cannot say that I've ever gotten completely used to leaving. I've left a home for another country (and for another life) two times already and the physical motions of leaving do get easier. Sorting my things and packing my bag are fairly trivial matters by now. In time, you learn how to best organize your departure.

However, what is only partly learnable and controllable are all the emotions connected with leaving. Leaving behind a home, friends, family, your life and all things familiar and comfortable puts you through one of the tougher challenges life has to offer: letting go of the old and embracing the change you are about to go through.

There's no way to predict exactly what you'll feel when you're actually leaving. And I've come to believe that it's best to just accept your emotions for what they are. If you're excited to finally be heading out for your adventure, be excited! If you feel a soft sadness because your path takes you away from things you love, so be it! For me, it has mostly been a combination of emotions. Feeling excited and sad at the same time, being a bit scared and feeling adventurous also, and being grateful for what I had these last 3 years in Switzerland but still wanting and longing for other, newer experiences.

The season of departure is an excellent point to review your life. It provides opportunity to look back and consider everything. Not to judge or evaluate but to appreciate its beauty and the richness of experiences it has provided you with. There are some regrets also I have to admit. There are people I would have liked to get to know better, friendships that didn't quite take the course I wanted, things I would do differently now and definitely plenty of beautiful places here in Switzerland that I haven't taken the time to visit. :)

My motto: keep your eyes on your goal! I will definitely make the best of my last three days in Switzerland but am already looking forward to start my journey in Vancouver, Canada on Monday!




Comments

Popular Posts